16.3.09

RACE DAY

I AM STILL ALIVE although only just. My whole body feels like it has been run over by a steam roller; sitting down is difficult, standing up is difficult, breathing is difficult, well you get the picture... 2 hours 13 minutes and 2 seconds of sheer hell later I can officially say I've run my first (and my last?) half marathon. Bliss was only 43 seconds further down the road which was amazing; we were both a bit scared we were going to loose each other during the race but I think the idea of having to run alone (surrounded by 15,000 others) made us keep an eye out for each other the whole way round.

The weather was amazing, apparently England is warmer than Greece right now. The spectators definitely appreciated the bright sunshine however I think the majority of the competitors would have appreciated it a few degrees colder, consequently most of the water I collected from the water stations went over my head rather than into my mouth. Also plenty of fancy dress to spot on the way round, including a man dressed in a rhino costume (it didn't have airconditioning, I asked) and another dude running the 13 odd miles carrying a full size surfboard.

My mum and dad were on camera duty however they missed me the first time round as my dad couldn't figure how to turn the camera on in time. HA perfect! The RNLI gave all our supporters "noise makers" to (well you'd never have guessed it) MAKE NOISE and the banner than Meg and Jess had made us was not only a piece of art but so appreciated. Jenna was nicely positioned outside her local pub and she kindly stated that I looked close to death 1 mile from the finish, her analysis was pretty spot on.

My friend Jess (who also ran) has already said she wants to do it again next year, ermmmmmm MENTAL, right now if i ever see lycra again it will be too soon but hey all I need is a little peer pressure...

P.S. To date we have raised over £300 for the RNLI, thank you so much for all your donations! http://www.justgiving.com/blissyandstokes

No comments:

Visitor no. hit counter